You know you’re not supposed to do their homework for them. So how do you help? A few ways you can help set them up for success is to prepare the space, your child, and set some rules for homework time.
Some guidelines suggested by the U.S. Department of Education include:
- Set a regular time to do homework.
- Provide a clean, clutter free space.
- Remove distractions—turn off technology, no phone calls or texting.
- Provide supplies and identify books and resources needed.
- Talk about the assignments.
- Know the school’s homework policy.
- Be available to help your child.
- Look over completed assignments.
- Watch for frustration.
- Give praise.