Obstetrics and Gynecology
Rapid City Medical Center
- Tell me about yourself. I am married to Scott, who works for the U.S. Department of Homeland Security. We have two girls, Lily and Macey. Lily will be a junior in high school this year and Macey an 8th grader. We have two fur babies which we adopted from the Oglala Pet Project rescue that keep us busy. We enjoy living in the Black Hills.
- Why did you choose a career in nursing? I have always had a passion for taking care of people. Nursing has provided me the opportunity to take care of patients throughout different stages of their life.
- How long have you been a nurse? I have been a nurse for just over a year, but I have worked in healthcare for over 15 years.
- What is most rewarding about your job? Interacting with patients and being able to provide care for them is the most rewarding. As an OB/GYN nurse, I enjoy building bonds with patients and their families through both celebrations and challenging times.
- What do you find most challenging? Trying to make sure that all patients’ needs are met as soon as possible and allowing grace for myself when I have bad days.
- What skills make a nurse exceptional? Being able to multitask, having empathy for patients and their needs, and providing support while creating trusting relationships.
- What advice would you give others thinking about becoming a nurse? Stick with it. It’s one of the hardest things that I have been through, but one of the most rewarding and fulfilling.
- When you were a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up? An elementary education teacher.