- Evaluate your priorities: Cody and Laura made the decision five years ago to return to South Dakota to be in the Black Hills and near their family.
- Learn to say no at work: Cody’s work involves both national and international travel that takes time from family. “For several years I was gone about 50 percent of the time,” he said. Today he travels maximum one week a month.
- Limit the kids’ activities: “They can’t be involved in everything. We want them to try new things but only a couple of things at a time,” Cody explained.
- Make quality time: “When we do have some time, we try to go out and do things; to make some memories,” Cody said.
- Have a support network: A spouse, family members, churches and local organizations all help the Knutson’s manage their family’s busy schedules.
- Remove distractions for quality time: Electronics are a distraction; so, when school is out, the electronics are off limits. “Let’s go outside. Let’s go fishing. Let’s do something,” Laura said.
By Jerry Steinley • Main photo by Chris Valencia