Ask yourself these five simple questions before packing your kid’s sleeping bag:
1. Are they mostly independent at bedtime, or do they still rely on you for special cuddles and tuck-ins?
2. Have they slept over at a relative’s home? Staying with grandparents or cousins can be a great way to test the waters.
3. Is your child comfortable with the other family? For a first sleepover, they’ll do better staying with a close friend rather than a casual pal.
4. Does your child separate from you with ease? With clingy kids or those who stress out in new situations, there’s a high likelihood you’ll get a middle-of-the-night “I want to come home” call.
5. Can your child survive on very little sleep? Some kids cope better than others.